Recently there have been a number of announcements and news articles regarding Lathrop Homes and housing justice. 525 Units of housing reserved for low-income families are being destroyed at Lathrop homes (Diversey and Clybourn) and replaced with 500 unites of housing only the rich can afford.
Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen…to provide shelter for the poor wanderer?
Here’s What You Can Do
Make 2 phone calls to 1st Ward Alderman Joe Moreno (773) 278-0101
- On Thursday, February 11, call him and tell him, “Take the Lathrop Homes application off the agenda of the City Plan Commission like you promised!”
- On Tuesday, February 16, call him AGAIN and as him “Is the Lathrop Homes application off the agenda of the City Plan Commission like you promised?” If it is not, tell him, “TAKE IT OFF!”
Attend the “Keep the Promise” Ordinance hearing on Wednesday, February 17, at City Council Chambers in City Hall.
- Bus transportation is available from Lathrop Homes at 7:45am.
- Press Conference at 9:00am.
- The Hearing begins at 10:00am (Stay as long as you can).
- Testify in support of the ordinance (if you are willing).
Attend the City Plan Commission Meeting on Thursday, February 18, at City Hall if the Lathrop Homes Appplication is still on the agenda.
- The meeting begins at 1:00pm and could last until 4:00pm.
- Testify against the application (if you are willing)
- Help to shut down the meeting
If the application has been removed from the agenda, we will not attend the meeting.
We must not be silent.
We must not stand by and do nothing.
We must act to preserve public housing and increase affordable housing in our community.
Sign the LATHROP HOMES ACTION form
and tell us how you will act for Housing Justice.